Being a Microsoft 365 developer can mean a lot of things. Backend, frontend, low-code, nocode. Teams, SharePoint, PowerApps, Office… and so on. And it can be hard to navigate the ocean of good resources for Microsoft 365 developers on each of these topics. Thats why I have been collecting resources for a while now, and I thought it was about time I share it with you!
This collection lists the resources I myself have found usefull in my day to day work. I have not worked with every different type of “M365 development” so some sections might be lacking, and some won’t be here at all.
And I’m sure there are a lot of other good resources out there too that I have never had the pleasure of stumbeling upon, so please drop a comment below if you have some you’d like to share!
Some resources may appear multiple times if it is relevant in different categories.
Common resources for Microsoft 365 developers
- Pattern and practices – a collection of best practices, guides, samples, solutions, SDKs, Tools and forums
Podcasts – Keep up to date with what is moving in the community by listening to podcasts
- PnP JS Library
- HtwoO – open source alternative for Microsoft’s Fluent UI Web Design system
- Fluent UI Web Design system
- Learn about Microsoft Authentication Library (MSAL)
SharePoint framework (SPfx) resources
Getting started with SPfx
- Get a developer tenant (Microsoft 365 Developer program)
- Getting started with SharePoint Framework (Blogpost by Waldek Mastykarz)
- Youtube video that shows the M365 developer program
- Set up environment (Microsoft Docs)
- Understanding the difference between SharePoint generator related packages (Blogpost by Andrew Connell – voitanos.io)
Extensions / helpfull tools
Read more about some of these in my blogpost 5 must have VS code extensions.
- SPfx fast-serve
- SPfx snippets
- SPfx debug extension
- Rencore deploy package extension
- Node Version Manager (nvm)
- PnP generator (Github – Community driven yeoman generator)
- SharePoint framework documentaion github repo
- SPfx PnP Powershell cheat sheet
- Mastering the SharePoint Framework course (the starter bundle is free). (Course by Andrew Connell – – Voitanos.io)
- Optimize bundles by disabling IE11 support in SPfx projects (Blogpost by Andrew Connell – – Voitanos.io)
Microsoft Graph resources
- Official Microsoft Graph documentation
- Official documentation github repo
- Microsoft Graph authentication overview
- Graph explorer
- Discover the Microsoft Graph toolkit (youtube video)
- Microsoft graph toolkit (Microsoft docs)
Teams development resources
Tip, you can use SPfx to develop Teams apps, so have a look at the SPfx resources too.
Manage apps, and app settings in tenant
- Manage your apps with the developer portal for Microsoft Teams
- Manage app setup policies in Microsoft Teams, see also my blogpost about enabling sideloading of apps in teams.
Power Apps and Power Apps Component framework (PCF) resources
Getting started with Power Apps
Getting started with PCF
- PCF Yeoman generator
- Package a component
- PCF properties (Overview of different properties that are allowed)
Do you know about any good resources that should be on this list?Please let me know in a comment below, or create a pull request on my resource github repo.
Did you find this article usefull? Follow me on twitter to be notified when I publish something new!
If you are interested in Microsoft 365 Development you might also like my other blogposts in this category.
Also, if you have any feedback or questions, please let me know in the comments below. 🙂
Thank you for reading, and happy coding!